Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Niqab: What is it... is it important,... and the controversy over it

By Sheila Quinn

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Definition: The Niqab is a face cover which sometimes covers the eyes and sometimes doesn't. It is part of The Islamic Faith, but... it is not obligatory! Some Muslims think that it is obligatory, some know that it isn't... while others think that it has nothing to do with The Islamic Faith.

I, myself, wear niqab. I do so not because I think that it is obligatory, but because I feel inside myself that I should wear it. It is from my conscience that I have decided to wear niqab.

I write this post as a response to what is happening in Egypt. I think that it is totally unacceptable for a Muslim country to make rules against Islamic behavior. Muslim women should be commended for wearing the niqab- not harassed for it.

A few weeks ago the Deen of Al-Azhar University (a prominent Islamic University in Egypt) made a point of harassing a teenage girl in high school (secondary school) for wearing niqab. He repeatedly ordered her to take it off. She refused... after repeatedly ordering her to take it off, she finally did. Than he made a insulting remark about how she wasn't beautiful enough to warrant covering her face.

Such behavior is totally unacceptable for any Muslim. A Muslim does not humiliate another Muslim. Yet, this "Islamic Scholar" humiliated a teenage girl in public. Afterward, he misused his position as a "Scholar" to make a fatwa (Islamic ruling). He decided to make an Islamic ruling that the niqab is not part of The Islamic Faith. It is obvious that he is a puppet of The Egyptian Government.

Now,I have read in an article from a Non-Muslim source that the Egyptian Government is not allowing the niqab to be worn in public schools. The Egyptian Government is obviously attempting to corrupt the Islamic practice of Muslim women. Why are they doing this? Because they are not only corrupt themselves,... but also because they are tyrannical as well. They are obviously under the influence of Neo-Colonialists.

No comments: